Produces machined rings by programming, setting up, and operating a computer numerical control (CNC) machine; maintaining quality and safety standards, keeping records, maintaining equipment and supplies and satisfying output requirements.
Working with the senior machinists to:
- Programme the machine tool with data taken from technical drawings, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
- Plan the most efficient order of machine operations for each job by studying work orders (additionally; engineering plans, materials, specifications, orthographic drawings, reference planes, locations of surfaces, and machining parameters; interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T)).
- Choose the right tools for each job; set-up machine by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices; tramming heads.
- Loads feed mechanism by lifting stock into position.
- Setting the cutting speeds and tolerance levels
- Verifies settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces; adhering to international standards.
- Maintains specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools; adhering to quality assurance procedures and processes.
- Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
- Documents actions by completing production and quality logs including Non-conformance Reports.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
- Accomplishes organisation goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments. Additionally:
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of the company.
- In addition to the job requirements as stated above, any other duties that might reasonably be asked of the post holder.
The minimum requirments for the role are 5 GCSE or equivilent at grade A-C or 4-9, to include Maths, English and Science.
Ability in maths, science and IT.
- Communication skills.
- An understanding of engineering drawings and principles.
- The ability to work under pressure and to deadlines and output requirements.
- The ability to manage a varied workload.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- The initiative to work on your own or as part of a team.
- An awareness of health and safety legislation.
- Good eyesight and normal colour vision.
< Back to Vacancies